The blog that reveals the shoestring travels of Judy through Europe, the UK and USA in 1988.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chapter 1 - The Big Day! '1-10-1988'

Departure time 12.35 pm Domestic flight to Sydney.

We decided to call in at our favourite watering hole The Brekky Creek for a farewell drink. Daughters Louise, Gaye and her twins Rebecca and Luke. Louise had decorated Tshirts for the twins which had a smiley face on the front saying BYE BYE NANA, while on the back was a sad face saying, BUT WE'LL MISS YOU! They looked gorgeous and drew many admiring glances.

The Brekky Creek.

Luke loves his food!

Anticipation.

Waiting at the airport.

Bye bye. See you in five weeks.

Time to go, lots of hugs and a few tears. I jauntily set off for my great adventure. My back pack had to be measured to see whether it qualified as hand luggage.No waiting around at airports for me hopefully. I put down my handbag which contained all my important papers, passport, traveller's cheques etc., then walked away leaving it behind. Luckily someone saw what I had done and returned it to me. Not an auspicious start though and I hadn't even left home!!!

************

Sydney International. I made the transition from Domestic by shuttlebus to wait for Flight 10 to Honolulu, departure time 4.30 pm. I can see my plane being loaded. Continental.Very exciting.

We arrived in Honolulu at 5.55am just as dawn was breaking. A beautiful sight, all orange over the horizon.

That's what it says in my diary on which I am relying heavily after twenty two years.

It seemed a shame to be in Hawaii and not see anything, but take off at 8.15am certainly left no time for sight seeing. At least we flew over Waikiki beach and relying on my diary once more, the colours were breathtaking, blues and greens, the water crystal clear.

************

4 comments:

  1. Wow - you won't need many more tip sessions - this is remarkable progress in just a few hours. We are very proud of your efforts so far.

    Phloss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear Phloss .All done manually .Still can't master 'cut and paste' as yet.Quite a few more tips needed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Judy, I can see you are going to have great fun with this, and it will stir up a huge melting pot of memories :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ears,
    yes, the memories are wonderful.Thanks for all your help.

    ReplyDelete