The blog that reveals the shoestring travels of Judy through Europe, the UK and USA in 1988.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chapter 13 FLORENCE.

28-10-88. Weather mild. T shirt weather.


I was very taken with the railway station- beautiful classical music is played continuously over the loudspeakers. A lovely touch, reminding visitors that they are now in a city of culture. I found though that most railway ticket staff were quite intolerant of tourists. I suppose to be fair, they must get fed up to the back teeth with queries from people who can't speak their language. I quickly learned to go from one queue to another until I found a sympathetic ear. At one stage I lost my temper and gave one an earful telling her that she was paid to do a job and should learn to be more helpful to visitors to her country. I'm sure she cried all the way home......not! But I felt better.

As usual the first job.....find a place to call home, pension 24,000 lira for the night. It took me a while to get used to all the noughts on the end, seemed such a lot of money! The next morning as I was wandering around searching for the statue of David, I noticed two women studying a map, so approached them to ask directions. They too were looking for David and invited me to join them.

Beside an excavation of Roman ruins.

Two Americans, Rosemary from Oakland California, and Terry from New Jersey. who were with a tour group, on their own for the day. We had a marvellous time, so much easier with three heads poring over the directions instead of one. Saw Duamo - Gardens of Buboli - Palazzo Pitti - Ponte Vecchio - and of course the Statue of David at the Galleria dell Accademia. We even found time to wander through the markets.


Statue of Pitti.Uffici Gardens.

Uffici Gardens.

Florence is a beautiful city, so much to see and do. I read somewhere that the art at every turn feeds one's spirit. I do so agree. We spent a very rewarding day wandering around. The statue of David is glorious. Terry was in trouble for touching- it was hard to keep from feeling that beauty, the smoothness of the marble.

This is a fridge magnet that Louise and Phil brought me back from their latest trip, complete with cover ups. So inappropriate but funny- some of the souvenirs perhaps not in the best taste.


Now you could take him home to meet the folks!!

Before I left home, Louise had asked me to buy her a gold chain from the Ponte Vecchio, the home of the goldsmiths. No I didn't break my budget rule, she handed over her credit card!!

So off to the Ponte Vecchio we set.

The beautiful Ponte Vecchio.( Old bridge.) and the River Arno.

Originally it housed the city's butchers, but in 1593 (probably because of the habit of throwing the carcases into the river below, causing a foul stench,) they were thrown out and the shops assigned to gold and silversmiths. It is still home to jewellers and art dealers. Louise got her chain and Rosemary bought a beautiful cameo brooch. Me? Not a thing! I was VERY single minded- that shoestring budget never far from my mind. Remember I was here purely for the sights, I don't recall being even remotely tempted.

The Ponte Vecchio escaped the fate of the other five bridges which were blown up when the Nazi's retreated during WW 2. Hitler decreed that it was the only bridge to remain. The story goes that he and Mussolini would sit in the Vasari Corridor above, where he had a huge picture window installed to enjoy the view while plotting all that destruction!


Cathedral and Campanile.

Magnificent view of the city and Doamo in the distance.
20,000 people can fit under that huge dome, just imagine!

While roaming around soaking up the sights the girls had a great (they thought) idea. As one member of the group - Terry's cousin - was away in Calabria visiting family they had a spare bed, which I should sleep in. No way! I couldn't do that! They wouldn't take no for an answer saying that as it had been paid for there was no harm done. So I was sent to the railway station to retrieve my back pack from Left Luggage ( I was supposed to leave that afternoon for Rome) with all instructions re directions back to their four star hotel The Fenice Palace. Of course being me I got hopelessly lost and it was getting dark. I COULDN'T find that hotel. I wandered in and out of shops and coffee lounges but no one could help me. I finally stood on the street and stopped a car thinking it was a taxi and demanded to be taken to the hotel.The driver politely informed me that he was a private vehicle and probably added in Italian to get lost, which I already was - thanks for nothing!

I eventually arrived and was smuggled up to their room. They certainly went out of their way for me. Terry and her brother were sharing with the absent cousin while Rosemary had a room to herself. They had decided the brother should sleep in Rosemary's room so we three could be together. Then the tour group were going out to dinner so I was left in Rosemary's room with all her belongings to shower and wash my hair with instructions to use her expensive toiletries and perfume then watch T V until they returned. I saw a John Wayne western in Italian. I still marvel at the trust they showed in me. We then all went out and I had a rather late dinner.

That night was one of the times when no one in the world knew where I was- my itinerary showed me to be in Rome. Here I was sleeping in a strange girl's bed in Florence, what a lot of explaining to do if I died in the night! This tickled my weird sense of humour, remembering the movie-Chevy Chase's European vacation where the old lady died, and they tied her on to the top of their car. I had visions of me up on top of the tourist coach . Fortunately for all concerned I survived the night.

Next morning they insisted I go down to breakfast with them. "Live dangerously," they kept saying, while I had visions of being thrown into prison. No one seemed to notice the rather unkempt stranger in their midst, so a hearty breakfast was devoured. Then, loaded up with packets of instant porridge in my pockets, a fond farewell was said by all and we went on our separate ways. They were off to Venice while I was looking forward to my next destination.......

ROME.

No comments:

Post a Comment