The blog that reveals the shoestring travels of Judy through Europe, the UK and USA in 1988.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chapter 5 - London

I thought I was in for a comfortable overnight flight as there was an empty seat beside me. No such luck, ,just after takeoff a huge man changed seats and plonked himself down overflowing into my space! Here I was all scrunched up against the wall, feeling sorry for myself. Worse was to come, too gross to mention in polite company. I wrapped myself in a blanket pulled it over my head and put as much distance between us as possible. Not the best flight I experienced in my travels. Very little sleep.

Heathrow Airport.

Here I am in London. Cold. 14 degrees and raining. 9-10-88

After finding my way to St. Paul's Cathedral (the hostel was just behind, according to my directions) I was hopelessly lost. After receiving rather vague information I walked forever only to be told on arrival that the place closed between 11.30 am and 1.30 pm. I was tired and cranky by then, (after the flight from hell) but hearing the bells of St. Pauls, traced my way back there and was treated to a beautiful service, choir, organ, the works.

In a much better frame of mind I settled in to the Carter Lane hostel where I met Janelle another lovely person who is still my friend today. Janelle, like me was recovering from a divorce, we were travelling in opposite directions. She is a native born Texan living in Lubbock very happily married now. She often invites me over to stay, maybe one day I will surprise you and land on your doorstep my sister in travel.

Janelle.

This building was the former Old St. Paul's choir school, built 1876.

Carter Lane Hostel.
No wonder I couldn't find it hidden in a laneway.


An unusual view of St. Paul's Cathedral. South East aspect.

The post card view.

This is said to be the fifth St. Pauls, all built on the same site since 604 AD and at 365 feet was the tallest building in London from 1710 -1962. The dome is one of the highest in the world.

First stop Buckingham Palace. Here we go again! Which way? Then I spotted these smartly dressed men marching along the road. Surely they are off to work, so I fell in behind them.

As we marched along an old song came to mind, based on a poem by A A Milne.....

. They're changing guard at Buckingham Palace.
Christopher Robin went down with Alice.
A face looked out but it wasn't the king's.
'He's too busy a-signing things,'
says Alice.


The Queen must have been busy a - signing things, no glimpse of her at the window!

I can't believe the pomp and ceremony that goes on surrounding the Royal Family, but the whole thing is a tourist drawcard and worth the outlay to the British taxpayer they say.

Another old song kept running through my head (no Louise I didn't sing my way around London you will be pleased to know! I did a lot of hummimg to myself.)

The changing of the guard.
Have you been to London ? Are you going to London?
if you go to London I'll tell you what you must do.
Walk down the streets take in the treats, do all the usual things.
And if your spouse is keen on houses why not show him the Kings..
Go down the mall to Buckingham Palace and
There you'll see the Changing of the Guard,
stand maybe within the palace yard ,
but if your plea to enter fails

you press your noses to the rails
and watch from there the changing of the guard.

My plea to enter failed so I pressed my nose to the rails.

and watched from there the Changing of the Guard.

Monday 10th. Time now to see more famous sites.

Statistics showed a few years ago that over two million people travelled by underground rail into the city each day. That number would have increased considerably by now. Just imagine.I am old enough to remember when the entire population of Australia was seven million.

The Tower Bridge.

I believe that when the Americans purchased London Bridge they thought they were buying this magnificent structure, but London Bridge is quite ordinary. Never underestimate the Brits!

An artist's impression.

Next stop Westminster Abbey.

Big Ben and Houses of Parliament,

Trafalger Square.

Picadilly Circus.

Walked along the embankment and admired the Thames.

I then took a bus tour and saw them all again.

I decided to have my lunch at St. James Park with the ducks and geese only to find the birds wanting to share my sandwich. There was a group of Japanese tourists taking photos and laughing at the sight and took this one for me. The birds were actually trying to sit on my lap, I had to keep feeding them crumbs to stop them.

The park borders St. James Palace and Buckingham Palace.It is hard to believe it was once a swampy meadow centuries ago, now rolling lawns are home to ducks geese and pelicans. I'm glad I never had to share with PELICANS!

Tuesday 11th.

Another good day.I tried out the tube, no worries there. First stop Baker Street( home of Sherlock Holmes) to Madam Tussaud's Wax Museum.That lived up to my expectations.The Chamber of Horrors was terrifying, one expected Jack the Ripper to jump out at any minute as you make your way through dimly lit cobblestone streets, peering in the windows of the taverns and houses that lined the narrow lanes and seeing the lifelike people inside.

The Grand Hall brings together the world's most famous characters alive and dead. Pose beside your favourite for a photo shoot, a lot of fun.

Playing a duet with Chopin. He was most impressed.

Another duet , this time with Elvis.

Who could forget the much loved Gandhi?

Spot the dummy!

Now to look for Charles Dicken's Old Curiosity Shop somewhere in Westminster.It dates back to the sixteenth century and is said to be made using the wood from old ships. At one time it functioned as a dairy on an estate given by King Charles the Second to one of his many mistresses. Surviving the bombing in the second world war, it is now closed and boarded up. I was able to go upstairs where the the floor sloped down to one corner. Maybe it became a hazard. I hope it isn't demolished in the future.

Off now to do some serious(?) shopping at Harrods! On my budget?!

The Food Hall, Harrods.

I really think I spent a little more than that, judging by the bags.

Of course I had to walk the Monopoly board, then off to the tower to see the Crown Jewels. One look at the queue quickly quenched my desire. I hate queues and anyway I've seen all that bling on T V.

The Tower of London.

Twinings Tea Shop.

It was here in 1706 that the famous company of R.Twining was founded. It is the oldest and I think the smallest shop in the city of Westminster, trading in the same site, with the same family and the same product- tea and coffee.

They received a Royal Warrant from Queen Victoria.

After a busy day I found time to see the Agatha Christie play,The Mousetrap which has been running continuously in the West End at St. Martin's Theatre since 1952. As of April 2008 it had clocked up 23,074 performances.

In the world's worst film deal the movie rights were sold in 1956 with the proviso that the film could not be made until the end of the London stage run. The two British producers who paid $5ooo are long dead. That would have been frustration with a capitol F!

St. Martin's Theatre. West End.

A family tradition was unwittingly started by daughter Gaye who attended in 1977- Louise in '88- me in 88-Louise again in 94-2006-08 and niece Bernadette last year 2009. Who knows who the next family member will be and will it still be running?

The London leg of my journey has now come to a close. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the famous tourist spots.

Now I'm off to Constable country to fulfil another dream. Tick! So with back pack all ready I head to the train station to use my Britrail pass for the first time.

DEDHAM ESSEX-- EAST BERGHOLT SUFFOLK.

8 comments:

  1. Hello again Judy
    this brings back a lot of memories for us, for the years we worked in London, but we never got to Madame Tussauds - or Harrods!
    Keep it up - it is really interesting.

    Ciao
    Eunice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eunice, were you and Ron part of the millions of people travelling to work? How exciting to live in London!. I for one are very glad you came to live in our part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day again Judy
    yes we were part of the millions of commuters a great number of whom got on the driverless Bank link underground train which was brilliant to take us in and out of the city. But when you work there you take it all for granted it is just part of the background.
    I posted Janelle's comment for you, but it still shows up as coming from us, so I don't know how to get around that - what is this option "subscribe by email" ? would that work for janelle?/
    Ciao
    Eunice and Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. So in the absence of Phloss swanning around in Rome and Florence (who could have shown us how to do this properly...most inconsiderate of you!!!)I will post this for Janelle.

    "What a blessing it was to meet you at the Youth Hostel in London in 1988!
    The hostel was at the old St.Paul Cathedral's Choir Boy's dormitory and we shared a room with four other girls from New Zealand, South Africa, Israel and Turkey....young girls,I might add. We were a bit 'longer in the teeth' if you know what I mean....ha! It was our "right of passage" too... we were just a little further on our life journey than the young ladies fresh out of college. My experience was as empowering as childbirth, and I will never forget it nor YOU! I am so grateful that we stayed somewhat connected over the years. Thanks for sharing your story my friend...love and hugs,janelle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That trip empowered us both Janelle... You went on to meet and marry your Bob and live happily ever after and I found a wonderful new life awaiting me which I am still enjoying to the full. Thanks for being a part of my blog.
    Much love....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy, I am going to take another stab at this! I simply have not been able to send my comments after typing them...my brain is not wired for technology...ha!

    What a blessing it was to meet you at the youth hostel in London...October, 1988...it was in the old St.Paul Cathedral's choir boys dormitory, as I recall. There were three bunk beds...we both had a top bunk! Sharing the other beds with four other girls from New Zealand, South Africa, Israel and Turkey was interesting. They were young and newly college graduates, and I am sure they thought we were "over the hill"...ha! I was only forty four years old at the time!

    Our trips were so similiar in many ways...one being it was both of our "rights of passage", teaching us of what kind of stuff we were made...different from the college grads, since we were just a little further down the road on our life journeys.

    I will never forget that trip and what it did for me...it was as empowering as giving birth to my first child! Another thing I will not forget is YOU!!! It has been a blessing keeping in touch with you all these years. I look forward to a reunion one of these days, my sister in travel...love and hugs, janelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. EUREKA! I knew you could do it. Congratulations. What a marathon effort. Why is it so complicated?
    Thanks for your perserverence and patience and thanks to Phil for his help.
    We will work on that reunion, back to Carter Lane would be fun.
    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. s it is now 2018 I don't know whether you will ever read this. I have spent several fruitless days searching the internet for the words of "Changing of the Guard", a song I remember from my youth in the 1940s. You have quite unexpectedly resolved my search. Gratitude from Melbourne, Neville Lee

    ReplyDelete