The blog that reveals the shoestring travels of Judy through Europe, the UK and USA in 1988.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chapter 4 - Tupelo Mississippi.

On my last full day I caught the early morning Greyhound to Tupelo, 6.15 am arriving 9 am. asking directions from the first person I saw, a black man. I was glared at then ignored for my troubles. Welcome to Tupelo! A lady stopped and gave me a lift to the house for which I was grateful as it turned out to be some distance from the terminal.

The second most famous White House in America.

This house was built by Vernon who was loaned $180 with interest and charged rent until the debt was repaid.

I met Geneva Holcomb, a a volunteer tourist worker who happened to be on duty this day. We connected immediately and kept in touch for years after. She admired my sweatshirt that Louise had hand painted and I promised to send her one.

Geneva at work.


and a later photo with the promised top.

There was another visitor that day. Jim Wilson who told me he had been one of Elvis's doctors. We talked for a long time.Now all these years later I wonder if he really was. I guess he could have been anyone.


My friend the doctor ( or con man?).


Yet another pilfered flower.

I loved being in the little two roomed house and felt the trip from Memphis had been more than worth while. Some people are disappointed that it has been 'tizzied up with wallpaper, etc.' as the Presleys were so poor and would have existed with the bare essentials but I thought it was tastefully done.



The original stove.



The original of this very famous ( to Elvis fans ) picture.



My time in Tupelo was special even though it was only for a day. I marvelled as do most people who have seen this house that a poor boy could rise to such heights and overcome that poverty. Geneva remembered seeing a very early concert in the town where he joked about wearing a belt belonging to his father, hoping that his pants wouldn't fall down as the belt was too big and Vernon wouldn't let him punch another hole because it was his best belt. Fast forward to his gorgeous, expensive costumes. He never forgot his humble beginnings.

A chapel has been built in memory of Elvis, situated behind the house along with a huge sportsground for the youth of Tupelo. Elvis bought and donated the land for this purpose. The Chapel was built and dedicated in 1979 two years after his death. Geneva found this copy of the dedication ceremony in the little house and sent it to me.





A very peaceful place for meditation.

The bible belonged to Elvis and the pulpit is from the little church in Tupelo where the family worshipped while living there. Along with other donations is a pew from Gene Autry.The central feature is the huge stained glass window, the theme of which is the Lord's prayer.

I couldn't get a good picture but you can see the size.


In the grounds.

Sadly it was time for me to leave and catch that Greyhound back to Memphis. What a day. Another wonderful memory. If the term' bucket list' had been around back then I would have been ticking frantically already on this trip of mine.

I arrived in Memphis at 6pm and prepared myself for an early departure next morning. Ready and waiting for the shuttlebus, left Memphis at 8.35 Houston bound, where I caught my plane for London via New York.

Flew over the Statue of Liberty and New York at night and in my diary wrote, ' What a magnificent view. Looks like a black velvet background with jewels scattered all over, red, blue, green, pink, gold and silver.' I do remember this beautiful view.

Next stop London.

4 comments:

  1. G'day Judy, I am at Sandra's place, and have just caught up with the blog... keep it up, you are doing wonders with it.
    Cheers
    Eunice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Judy. It is great to see chapter 4 back and so much progress on your travels - I have done some minor editing to the layout to add some white space but there is increasingly so little for me to do - go girl!!

    Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the wedding went well Eunice.
    I'll welcome you home....miss our music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever magic you used to find this lost chapter Phillipe I thank you.Don't go too far from this blog, you are needed!

    ReplyDelete