The blog that reveals the shoestring travels of Judy through Europe, the UK and USA in 1988.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chapter 14 ROME.

30-10-88. Weather mild.

At last Rome! High on my bucket list, but not a great welcome. I couldn't find anywhere to stay.

Arriving at mid day it was 2pm before I found a rather seedy pension-20,000 lire. Time now to go exploring. First site was the Coliseum. I caught a bus and there it was! Sitting almost on the footpath (yes I know it was there first) with people nonchalantly walking past totally ignoring this magnificent sight!

Look behind you- it's the Coliseum!!!!
Tick.

I walked all around in wonderment then caught another bus to St Peters. On this bus I struck up a conversation with the most gorgeous looking young priest dressed in white robes. He was from America, working in the Vatican. I wish I had taken a photo of him. He pointed out this glorious building ......

The Altar of the Nation. Sometimes called the Wedding Cake.

We walked to St. Peter's then he wished me well, blessed me and we went our separate ways. Of course St. Peter's lived up to it's reputation. My favourite was Michelangelo's Pieta. Even more so than David. Now behind glass because some deranged person attacked it with a hammer. It is unique among Michelangelo's sculptures as it is the only one signed. His signature is carved into the sash over Mary's breast.

The Pieta 1499. This is one magnificent work of art.

Time to go home (? ) to the pensione where I spent a restless night. Several wooden slats were missing so I hung a blanket up for privacy, determined to find something better in the morning. An early start and I found a nice place 15,000 lire sharing.


Chris's address in Naples.

Good idea a map on the back of the card - but I still got lost.

In a much happier frame of mind I set off once more to explore this wonderful city. Went back to the Vatican for mass ( bumped into my gorgeous priest on the bus again! Was he following me???? I should be so lucky! ) and found contrary to yesterday when I was free to wander around, that barricades had been erected and everyone had to pass a security check. Women's handbags were searched, a gadget passed over their bodies, and men were body searched. Turned out to be the tenth anniversary of Pope John Paul the Second's accession, and he was THERE. What a thrill but of course didn't get up close and personal.

The Pope was quite safe. He has his Swiss Guards on duty .

Someone shared this photo with me.

Off to the Sistine Chapel, reminding myself to be back in time for the Papal Blessing (where he appears on the balcony) but missed it by ten minutes. However seeing the Chapel was worth it. To stand and marvel at that ceiling and know that it took Michelangelo from 1508 to 1512 to complete.

There was some restoration work being done so part of it was covered with what looked like brown paper. This restoration was started in 1984, completed in 1994. Also we were warned to speak in "hushed tones" and as soon as the decibels rose to an unacceptable level a recorded voice would come over a loudspeaker reminding us to BE QUIET!

I conic image of the hand of God giving life to Adam.

Here is another magnet from Louise and Phil. I have a very interesting fridge thanks to them. Actually I have some magnificent presents from their trips. Long may they travel. Not only for the goodies but the stories and photos on their blog is a MUST read for me. I read it again and again and feel as though I have travelled with them. I thank you for all the time you spend on this chore Phloss. I am quite happy to be an armchair traveller at this point in my life.

In the afternoon I found a four hour bus tour for 6,000 lire - wonderful value. We went everywhere.

Went 'home' and met my room mate Chris, and instantly connected with her. She became another link in the chain of friends I collected on my trip. Chris was in the American Navy stationed in Naples, on weekend leave in Rome. She was due to go back but stayed an extra day so we could explore together. We caught buses everywhere and saw so much.


The Coliseum (for the third time )


In all it's glory.

In all MY glory.

The Spanish Steps.

Where's Judy?

It was a rainy day and we were on and off buses so crowded to the extent that we were packed in like sardines. Chris had a tiny piece of paper in her jeans pocket with Trevi Fountain written on it. No one could understand either of our accents when we asked for directions so she would pull this paper out (getting more and more pathetic looking the wetter it got.) We got the weirdest directions, that's how we unwittingly found our way to the catacombs of St. Sebastian, going through peoples' back yards weaving our way through their washing . I don't know if that was the way or whether we had been given a shortcut.

The Catacombs of St. Sebastian. On the Appian Way.

After much giggling we finally found the famous fountain.

Trevi Fountain.

I tossed three coins over my shoulder but haven't returned as yet.

Gaye's birthday had been on the 27th so I found time to shop. Spied a lovely jumper in a boutique and hoped she would like it. Managed to squash it into my backpack. Birthday presents don't count in the budget so I didn't feel guilty. No presents for any one else. They had been forewarned.

Back to the pensione then out to a trattoria for a real Italian meal. A friend of Chris had invited us out for coffee, off we went to meet him. He was a retired naval officer living in Rome. So interesting and it was he who told me about an art gallery in Florence under the river Arno, that was restricted to a few visitors and not many knew about it. Over the years I wondered about this and when Louise and Phil talked about visiting Florence on one of their many trips I mentioned the conversation. Louise thought that he had been 'having a lend of me'. We googled and found out about the Vasari Corridor. My mistake - it was OVER the Arno. Over the Ponte Vecchio in fact. So they were able to visit this wonderful site and see some fabulous art work.

On the way home from the trattoria we linked arms , Chris saying, 'It's ten thirty at night and here we are dancing along the streets of Rome. What a memory!' Yes it was and it's still with me.

I had a wonderful couple of days in Rome but it was time to move on. Chris back to work in Naples. She almost convinced me to go with her, I wish now that I had, Pompeii was on my bucket list, but-apart of the crime warnings-I was mindful of the fact that I had to be back in Frankfurt on the 4th to catch my flight home.

So we said goodbye at the station and I hopped on a train en route to ....

PISA.







No comments:

Post a Comment