The blog that reveals the shoestring travels of Judy through Europe, the UK and USA in 1988.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chapter 2 - Hollywood

Next stop L A International Airport.(just like the song) When phoning the hostel for directions (Louise had booked ahead so I wouldn't be rattling around looking for accommodation) I was told three bus changes would be needed. I found that one had to produce the correct change which went into a ticket machine, the drivers don't touch money. That was awkward as I had yet to work out their currency.

Beverley Hills Hotel.

After a great bus ride passing the Beverley Hills Hotel, U. C. L. A. and all the magnificent houses, not to mention those famous palm trees lining the streets, I finally arrived at the hostel which was on Sunset Boulevard. I was amused to find the date was still 1-10-88!

Look who made it to Hollywood. 1- 10- 88.

A lot of friendly faces greeted me on this, my very first encounter with hostel life. I was told to store my back pack away in a special room which was then locked to discourage thieving. Nice! Opened only at designated hours, too bad if one needed access at other times.

My back pack storage ticket.

Then I was required to hire bed linen but the person in charge had gone home.

A very accomodating young man, a fellow Australian whose nick name was Aussie, lived at the hostel and offered to get it for me. As he was leaving I called him back and asked him to get me a blanket, then calling him again requested a pillow.He turned and with a laconic drawl said,"How are you off for socks and undies Jude?" Australian humour a long way from home.

On a notice board in the kitchen was an ad that took my eye. A local girl was offering a private trip around Hollywood for five people. $10 for the morning. There were four names already down so I added mine. Turns out she was a teacher who used her own car in vacation time to earn extra money.

Next day accompanied by two Swiss boys, two girls German and Danish, we were shown the sights. Santa Monica Pier, breakfast at Patrick's Roadhouse, where all the stars ate. Guess what? No stars.

No stars, but we are in the left hand corner.

Then a stroll along Malibu beach, nothing to equal our glorious beaches, and I told them so. Off to Venice beach the home of the body builders. It was all fascinating but my diary tells me I found it quite seedy.

Venice Beach.

A movie was being filmed that day which I found interesting, but when I became too nosy I was told off for touching the car. I only put my head in the window to see if I could recognise the star. Oh well, no one knew me over there so I took the embarrassment in my stride.

THE car!

Then there was the people watching, all sorts. Here is one local character. He just skated up and down the sidewalk non stop. I had never seen rollerblades at that time.

A very colourful man.

We were then taken for a drive around Beverley Hills and Bel Air where we stopped and took this photo of a typical Hollywood house with a Rolls Royce casually parked on the lawn.

If you've got it flaunt it.

Morning tea time, so how about a visit to the Hard Rock cafe? We peeked in the door but seeing the prices decided to give it a miss. Maccas anyone? Remember that tight budget.

Hard Rock cafe.One and a half boys in view.

The walk along Rodeo Drive was an experience. The shop windows were amazing. I still remember being mesmerized by a jewellery display which presented a magnificent chandelier lying on the floor of the window with a single watch casually dangling from the centre. I have no need to add that we purely window shopped that day!

Rodeo Drive.

We stopped outside this beautiful building and Janet asked us to guess its function.No one had an inkling that it was the local cop shop. Only in Hollywood!!

The L.A.P.D.

Janet then drove us to Englebert Humperdink's mansion to see the statues. This once belonged to Jayne Mansfield, who named it The Pink Palace, complete with heart shaped swimmimg pool.The original owner was Rudy Vallee, also Ringo Starr's residence at one time . Englebert sold it to a developer and the place was demolished in 2009 to expand the estate grounds.

Children peering over the wall.

Guard at the gate.

Such lifelike tourists taking our photo.

Then it was on to Grauman's Chinese Theatre, high on my 'must see' list. What a thrill. All the big movie premieres were held there.

Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

The hand and foot prints are immortalised in concrete and people have fun trying to fit into their shoes. I couldn't photograph them all. Here are some of the idols of my childhood.

Who can ever forget Rhett Butler?

Or the late, great Judy.

The fabulous Norwegian skating star, Sonja Henie.

Growing up in Redcliffe, my weekends were spent at the local skating rink, and in my mind I was Sonja Henie.

Everyone's favourite Shirley Temple.

Back to the hostel. Janet was taking the others to Movie World for the afternoon, but I had no desire to go, I had other things on my mind.Glenys, an Australian girl living at the hostel offered to take me for a walk to find all my dream spots. A stroll along Sunset Boulevard to the corner of Hollywood and Vine.

The famous intersection.

This intersection became famous in the 1920's for it's concentration of radio and movie making businesses. The Hollywood walk of Fame is centered here. Another famous landmark is the Capitol Records Tower.The world's first circular building, it looks like a giant stack of vinyl 45's. Thirteen stories high, the blinking light on top spells out Hollywood in morse code.

I'm not the world's best photographer,should have waited for the bus to pass!

A walk along the walk of fame was next on the agenda to spot some favourite stars. I managed to find two. It was a great way to spend the afternoon.

Elvis.

Mario Lanza.

As I said before, the cars cruising the streets were a joy to behold. To balance the scales poverty is prevalent as is always the case. I remember getting quite nervous as we seemed to be walking further and further into a seedy area. Hollywood was a disappointment to me as it seemed so rundown and dirty. I guess nothing stays the same.

We found the Brown Derby Restaurant.

Back to the hostel for tea where I was invited to a performance of Les Miserables that night, but thought my BEST outfit of jeans and Reeboks hardly suitable. Janet the tour guide immediately offered me her new red sweater, someone else a dress, which I declined as jetlag was catching up with me. Everyone is great, I would certainly recommend this way of travelling. I feel there is more opportunity to meet real people and share experiences. I met fellow back packers on my travels who were leaving as I was arriving and would pass on their 'things and places you MUST see.

I did my washing, packed my little back pack. All ready for my early departure next morning. Janet offered to drive me to the airport as the freeway jams up during peak hour and buses are dicey. Looking forward 22 years we are now experiencing the same problem. Janet stopped the car and we could look down at the freeway and I was amazed at the congestion, now I see it on our TV news every night.

Goodbye Hollywood, Hello Memphis.

2 comments:

  1. Hello from Byron, Mum! We are loving your blog and are so proud of you! Love P&L xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Phloss,
    lucky you. I bet it's beautiful down there.Have fun.Going okay with the blog but there is plenty of work for my editor! See you when you get back. Love from me.

    ReplyDelete